Monday, July 17, 2017

e-Narcissism

I am slowly realizing that if something does not have an e-avatar it might as well not exist. That, though, is not likely to be a fate that Narcissism will suffer. In fact, it is quite likely that it IS Narcissism that drives all of social media interactions. At least, it is that way with me.

I mean, come on, I did not start blogging - which is where I started off with my social media voyage - because I thought of a blog as some sort of a private storage space, a sort of external memory storage, for my thoughts. Of course, I was there preening about how well I write and wanting the world to echo my thoughts. Self-absorbed? But then what did you expect of me? To not be narcissistic?

The problem, though, was that everyone else in the world (of blogging, at least) was also too busy preening to watch MY feathers. So, it was like I had to go and admire other people's feathers so that they could, in turn, come and admire mine. You know what, these others, they are such dumb creatures. Instead of understanding that their function in the world was to come over and admire me they seemed to think that I existed to admire THEM! Such self-absorbed narcissistic people as I had never expected to see.

And then I came upon Facebook. Here, at last, I could find myself an appreciative audience. I showcase my brilliant thoughts, throw out quips by the dozen, and find no takers. What the hell was wrong with these guys? Then, I realize that the same damn thing was wrong here as well. I mean, this preening all day is sickening I tell you. If people cannot take time off to be entranced by MY preening, they must be too selfish for words. Back to the old grind, again. At least, it cost less effort here to go admire others. In blogs I had to read them and give 'meaningful' comments. Here, a 'Like' sufficed, though some were too narcissistic to be satisfied with them...they needed comments, too, greedy folks that they are.

And, meanwhile, all these chaps think I am fool enough to be taken in by just 'Likes' on my post...especially my blog posts. As though I did not know that you could scatter 'Likes' like confetti without even being aware who had posted what. I mean, if they do not even write a comment...

As you may well be aware, I had not risen to the stratospheric heights of being 'Shared' as well. Well, to 'Share' is human, to be 'Shared' is divine...and everyone seems to aspire to divinity rather than humanity! AND they say there is something called Twitter and other such media, each of which would have its own equivalent of how to let someone else know if you admire their preening so that they may watch you preen in your turn, hopefully.

Apparently, there was this chap called Narcissus who caught sight of his face reflected in a pool and fell in love with it. Every time he tried to touch his 'love in the waters', his love also leaned towards him but vanished as soon as he touched 'her'. He kept pining for her till he turned into a lovely flower of the same name.

I rather think that if I do wither away like that guy, I may end up being a noxious weed. Though, from the 'Likes' I get when, rarely, I post a pic of myself one would think that I was as handsome as that fella Narcissus.

No wonder the world of social media is so Narcissistic!

16 comments:

  1. You could package this as Social Media Interaction 101 - Bloggers Addition!
    Read you after a while...for some reason your posts don't land on my newsfeed as frequently as they used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - yeah! If only I could teach :)

      The mysterious ways of FB. :) The change in frequency is not on account of any change in the frequency of my posting I assure you :)

      Delete
  2. Back scratching you meant, right?

    But can I point out a species in the world of blogging who is selfish enough to read others works, take good bits and pieces from them, write comments thereafter if they feel like they should know that they are being read, show them that they admire their works but instead steal good contents from them, keep it stocked in their minds for some few days to let the stock become a compost pit and then write an influenced article, although may not be a far stretched influencd one, on their own blog!

    I should remind you that they are more dangerous and you cannot do anything about them, other than calling them a discerning critic :p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back-scratching in the world of blogging yes. It exists everywhere, whether identified as such or no. The point is that the need for it arises out of the extent of our own self-absorption, our narcissism.

      And, yes, THAT's a very dangerous tribe, indeed :)

      Delete
  3. Scratching others' backs to get them to scratch your own can be a chore!! I agree completely though with your take on the ways of social media and humanity in general, but there are a few people out there who do appreciate true art without having to be bribed or arm twisted. I guess all we can do is to hope and pray that their tribe prospers. Brilliant post, every line worth being read several times over. Thank YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The total concentration on your back and whether it is getting scratched and what will get it scratched...THAT's the narcissism I speak of :)

      Thanks, doc!

      Delete
  4. This is too much. You can't write such social media genius level stuff and then expect people not to assume you're a narcissist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend, this is a reality of our times and deep inside, we have all accepted our fate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the unfortunate but true narcisstic reality of today ....what to do Suresh ....but good contents like your blog ( I mean it :) ) give you a right to be in proud nascissm ...:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. This one I loved ! Guess this trait was there all along in all the people preening themselves on social media.. It's just that technology enabled it to come to the fore. As for bloggers.. Well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media just gave the means to scratch that itch - it did not cause that itch :)

      Delete