Let me count the ways in which I like business
1. I love the way my supermarkets have the apples and pears waxed so that they attract me to buy them and also sell me vegetable soap to wash the wax off.
2. I love the way my mobile operator calls me to sell his schemes when I am ‘roaming’ and charges me for receiving those calls when the humble SMS had suited him when I was in town.
3. I love the way my credit card company gives me a totally unnecessary add-on card in the name of my nominee for ‘free’ and then charges me for it the next year because I did not call them up (on their toll-free number that bounces me around for a day with no results) to cancel the card.
4. I love the way my internet provider fails to send me a bill, disconnects my connection without notice for not paying up but rings me up twenty times thereafter since I have continued not to pay up!
5. I love the way business hates government interference when they are profitable and insists on it when they are not. Apparently unbridled capitalism is good only if it ensures their profitability!
To every one of them the Customer is King, of course! People in business sure have weird ideas about how Royalty was treated in their heyday.
I was hesitant about generalizing based on these thoughts about business till I found that people in business shared these thoughts themselves! There are a couple of ads running currently – from two different industries – that claim that the companies concerned do not cheat the customer (while the rest do!) Obviously, then, it seems to not only be the norm to take the customer for a ride but also an acceptable norm considering that honesty in business is touted as an exception!
Quite evidently the watchword for today’s world is still ‘Caveat Emptor’ – Let the Buyer beware!